Youth Suicide Awareness & Prevention
Jason Flatt Act
For suicide counseling, call 800-273-8255
On May 13, 2016 Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed The Jason Flatt Act-Kansas, also known as Senate Bill 323, into law. This act is named for Jason Flatt, a high school student that committed suicide in 1997. The Jason Flatt Foundation began working with state organizations to influence legislation for including youth suicide awareness and prevention training within Teacher’s In-Service and eventually resulting in basis for The Jason Flatt Act. The mission statement for the Jason Foundation is "The Jason Foundation, Inc. (JFI) is dedicated to the prevention of the “Silent Epidemic” of youth suicide through educational and awareness programs that equip young people, educators/youth workers and parents with the tools and resources to help identify and assist at-risk youth."
The provisions of this bill that are relevant to suicide awareness and prevention are:
- The board of education of each school district shall provide suicide awareness and prevention programming to all school staff and shall notify the parents or legal guardians of students enrolled in such school district that the training materials provided under such programming are available to such parents or legal guardians.
- Such programming shall include at a minimum:
o At least one hour of training (KASB Student Suicide Prevention Training) each calendar year based on programs approved by the State Board of Education. Such training may be satisfied through independent self-review of suicide prevention training materials; and
o A building crisis plan developed for each school building. Such plan shall include:
- Steps for recognizing suicide ideation;
- Appropriate methods of interventions; and
- A crisis recovery plan
- On or before January 1, 2017, the State Board of Education shall adopt rules and regulations necessary to implement the provisions of this section.
Emergency Local Resources - USD #499 Bully Report Form
|Click on the name of the resource to access their website||Phone Numbers|
|Spring River Mental Health & Wellness Inc||Riverton - (620)-848-2300 Columbus - (620)-429-1860|
|Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas||Baxter - (620)-856-2900 Columbus - (620)-429-2101 Pittsburg - (620)-231-9873|
|Ozark Center Crisis Services||In Joplin - (417)-347-7720 Outside Joplin - (800)-247-0661|
|Mercy Clinic Behavioral Health||Joplin - (417)-781-7337 Columbus - (620)-429-2545|